What is the typical outcome after career coaching and counseling with you?
With career coaching and counseling you can look forward to:
- A greater sense of who you are and the gifts you bring
- The courage to go after what you want — in career and life
- A new relationship with the inner critic that’s been keeping you stuck
- The ability to trust yourself and believe deeply in the choices you make
- Deep confidence that begins to show itself in all of your life situations, including your career
- A feeling of empowerment, appreciation and unconditional support
- The return of joy, meaning and fulfillment to your work
- Options! You will see options and possibilities where before you’d seen none
What exactly is a career counselor? Is it different from a career coach?
Which one are you?
Career coaching and career counseling are similar but not the same. I employ some of both. Coaching is about you, where we bring to light what you intuitively know (and may have forgotten) — so you are the expert. Counseling is more advisory, where I may have the expertise. The blend of the two is always there and the degree to which I coach vs. counsel depends on your unique goals and needs. One thing counseling and coaching isn’t is fixing. You aren’t broken and you don’t need to be fixed. You may be in a situation that’s broken, but you are not your situation. When we land you in purposeful work where you’re acknowledged and rewarded for who you are and what you do, this will become obvious to you.
How does career coaching and counseling work?
There can be some variables depending on your goals and current situation, but in general, there are three distinct elements:
- Intro Conversation. This is where we get to know one another and discuss where you want to be, where you currently are, and whether you may benefit from working with someone like me to help you go from your current reality to your vision. If we decide to continue with career coaching and counseling, we’ll discuss fees, frequency of sessions, and explore any questions you have about the process. If we both believe there’s a fit, we’ll go forward into a coaching relationship.
- Foundation Session. This is a 90-minute exploration of who you are in a deep and resonant way. When do you most feel like yourself? What are your unique traits, qualities and values? What’s important to you? What’s missing in your life and/or career right now? What’s getting in the way of your career success and sense of peace and empowerment?
- Regular Career Coaching and Counseling Sessions. Our conversations will last between 45 and 60 minutes each. You can expect me to be in your life for at least six months. Many of my clients continue their sessions with me even after they’ve gotten the outcome they desired, on a once monthly or quarterly basis. You’re completely at choice about that.
Will there be homework?
Significant change requires a significant commitment, so yes, there will be homework. In fact, many people have said that the magic of this kind of process isn’t only in the actual coaching/counseling sessions, but in the change that happens between sessions. You will usually have homework customized to where you are and what will serve after each session, and you’ll be taking what you learn in the sessions out into the world where you can apply it to your daily life.
Is career coaching and counseling covered by my insurance?
Unfortunately, coaching and counseling of this sort is not typically covered by insurance.
I don’t live in Denver. Do you coach clients over the phone, and is this effective?
The majority of my clients live in other parts of the world and are coached via phone. When you review the testimonials on this web site, you will see many are from people in other places. Phone coaching has the distinct advantage of allowing me to truly hear and feel your words — and what’s under the words — that I may miss if you were sitting across from me. We know that people without the benefit of sight develop greater sensitivity to other cues, and arguably more intuition. This is the case with phone coaching. Many of my Denver clients prefer phone coaching too!
I’m in Denver; can we meet in person for the Intro Conversation?
Unfortunately, the demands of my schedule make it very difficult to offer the Intro Conversation in person. If you choose to become a client, we can most definitely have our sessions in person. If you’re not sure about the value of coaching via phone, the Intro Conversation is a wonderful opportunity to try it out.
So you’re a career coach, does this mean you’re going to help me with my resume?
It’s good to understand that crafting your resume is one of the final steps in the process; it’s not the goal. In fact, if you’ve been looking at job postings and you find you’re feeling stuck, could it be that the “stuckness” is because you’re starting at the end (resume) instead of the beginning (you)? We will start our journey by exploring who you are, what lights you up, and what’s getting in the way. Once you and I have successfully identified what’s fulfilling and meaningful to you, and you are champing at the bit to go after that new job or career, we will explore many ways for you to land that job. A resume is one option, but it’s not the only one.
Do I have to commit to coaching if I schedule an Intro Conversation with you?
Absolutely not. That said, the Intro Conversation is coaching, so you will be engaging in it regardless. I understand that it’s not possible to commit to something as important as coaching without experiencing it first. My hope is that we will have a great time in our first conversation and you’ll experience a shift in your thinking and begin to see what’s possible for you. If that happens and we both decide to keep going, then great! But you’re in no way obligated.
How much do you charge?
Clients work with me intensively for at least six months. I don’t offer to work with anyone until we’ve had a conversation to see whether and how I can help, so there is no charge for our first 90 minute talk. If we choose to continue working together, you can expect my fee to range from $12,000 to $25,000 depending on the nature and scope of our collaboration.
What if I can’t afford your normal rates?
The hard truth is that this is my profession and my time and talent comes with a fee. I will work with you to my best ability to accommodate your budget, but if we can’t find a place that serves us both, I will endeavor to give you a variety of resources that will support, inspire and guide you for little or no expense. If you know right now that you have no funds available for coaching, my first suggestion would be to check out my book on Amazon.com, entitled “Escaping Career Prison.” Click here for the book.
I’ve put so much work in to my current career, but I’m unhappy. I feel like it’s too late to change directions. Is there any hope for me?
It is never too late to change directions. If you are unhappy, please know that it doesn’t have to be that way. Everyone deserves to be fulfilled in their work. Settling for work that’s not rewarding, meaningful and deeply satisfying doesn’t serve anyone in your life — most of all, you! Consider that the possibility that because you are longing for something more, it means that more is possible. The work you’ve put into your current career won’t go to waste — it can be the thing that paves the way to something better.
What if I don’t want to change careers?
That’s fine too! Many clients find that the problems they’re encountering aren’t related to their career, and perhaps are more about other aspects of their job, the management where they work, or the perspective they’ve been carrying. Our goal isn’t to change careers; our goal is for you to feel engaged, challenged, fulfilled and rewarded in your work.
I know I want to stay in career, but I want to accelerate my progress. Can you help?
Yes. This is a similar process to more generalized coaching and counseling; we will look at where you are, where you want to be, and what may be stopping you from getting there. After we’ve identified these elements, we will begin working on what’s necessary to land you where you want to be.
To contact me, CLICK HERE